Meet Megan, Northeast Region's new Intern!


Hello! My name is Megan Liebold and I am the new intern for FPAN’s Northeast region!
Me at the Mill Top Excavation in St. Augustine

 I graduated from UCF in 2011 with a BA in Anthropology. While searching for jobs, I started working for a funeral home in Orlando. I stayed at the funeral home for 3 years doing everything from secretary work to picking up decedents and taking them to our morgue. I worked directly under two funeral directors and learned a lot about burial law and got my first taste in cemetery protection and management. I first encountered FPAN in March 2015 when Sarah Miller came to Orlando to do a lecture on Ceramics. 
I also dragged my Mum along with me!

I continued to find FPAN events around Florida becoming more interested in getting back into archaeology and volunteering. I moved to Flagler Beach later that year in August to work for Florida Hospital Flagler. I had wanted to move up to this area ever since I had graduated to be closer to St. Augustine because I loved the city and all of its history. I participated in FPAN's CRPT course in December and started volunteering locally at Tolomato and San Sebastian cemeteries doing restoration and recording.
Palm Cemetery in Ft. Pierce

 I also became scuba certified in the hopes of eventually learning how to do scientific dives. I strived to be as active as I could as a community volunteer and became a member of the Archaeological Institute of America and more locally, the St. Augustine Archaeological Association. With the help of the SAAA I was able to spend some time volunteering at the Mill Top dig site on St. George Street. I was overjoyed to be contacted about an intern position with the Florida Public Archaeology Network. I am excited to begin my journey working more closely with FPAN and will continue to be active in the archaeological community of North East Florida. In the future I plan to return to UCF to study archaeology for my master’s degree. I am specifically interested in forensics and the preservation of historical sites. I am ecstatic to be part of the team and to see what lies ahead!

Text and photos by: Megan Liebold, FPAN Staff